Silent Night

In the first post about our vacation I mentioned the hurricane. Al thought I better get around to explaining that in case somebody is actually reading this thing.

To begin with, this house boat we were on was huge. 70 feet long, six bedrooms, a hot tub- you name it. The picture below shows the before shot.

We tied up the boat the first night to one of the islands on the lake. We made sure the boat was tied to some substantial trees and used the rope provided, which was about 3 feet in diameter. I should have known something was wrong when the ropes we were provided weighed more than I do.

Billy and I stayed up until about 2:30 a.m. and had noticed a steady drizzle and quite a bit of lightning in the distance. I went inside to go to bed first, and almost immediately after lying down I could feel the bed spinning.

I wasn’t sure if that was from the Hurricane or from staying up until 2:30 with Billy. The view out our bedroom window was of the island and the trees we had tied the boat to. At least, that’s what the view had always been. I looked out the window now and saw nothing but water.

I decided something was wrong, I’m quick like that, and went up to the second floor to investigate. Bad move, the boat was being pounded by the wind and waves so hard that it made standing up difficult and walking around impossible. By this time Dad was already up and exploring, fondly reminiscing about Typhoons in Korea, which, incidentally, did nothing to calm my nerves.

Turns out the change in scenery was due to the fact that the wind had completely shifted and managed to spin our entire boat around 180 degrees from where we had originally started. But the good news was, we were still tied up…for the moment.

Billy managed to make it up the stairs and saw that Dad and I were already up. We then spent the rest of the pre-dawn hours trying to get something on the marine band radio and deciding whether we should cut loose from the island or just stay put.

The plan for moving the boat involved me trying to untie the boat from the island and then waiting to see if Billy could maneuver the boat back around to pick me up in the middle of the storm.  Amazingly enough, this seemed like a great idea to everyone involved except, of course, for me.  Using all my legal prowess, which isn’t much, I managed to keep this idea out of play at least until sunrise when Al emerged and decided that I couldn’t find my way to the island, much less do anything about those surgical knots once I got there.  Ahh, nothing like the confidence of a good woman in her man!
By sunrise, the storm had subsided and all was well.  Oh yeah, except for the fact that no one had slept all night except for that 2 year old who was now up and ready to roll.  With Hurricane Caroline on board, that island idea was sounding better already.

Just for comparison, here is a shot of me during the height of the storm providing service to some of the surrounding boats

As you can see, I have Al thrown on my shoulders and am leading Billy and my Dad to safety… All in a day’s work

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>